Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing (epiphany) of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ; Titus 2:13
Elisha as a prophet of Jehovah? What is typed by the three kings coming to him? What did the antitypical kings hope to get from him? When did they first come to him? Previous to what convention did this happen? How do we know this?
(15) What does the Elisha episode of this chapter give us? Why? What is typed by Elisha's reproof of Jehoram? His referring them to the prophets of Ahab and Jezebel? His derisive course toward Jehoram? Jehoram's answer?
(16) What is typed by Elisha's continued rebuffing of Jehoram? What was antitypical Elisha's attitude toward the Allies before America entered the war? On what was this attitude based? To what did it lead? Why did he relent at all? By what means was this set forth? In particular how and where was this done?
(17) What does the minstrel type? What is typed by its playing? What was antitypical Elisha at that time? As a result, what should have been expected, and what actually happened? What is typed by the expression, Jehovah's hand came upon him?
(18) What is typed by the expression of Elisha, Thus saith the Lord? What is typed by the valley? What was the antitypical valley to become? Describe how it did so become. What did it move them to do? In what did this result? What did the Society mouthpieces forecast? What were the antitypical trenches? What was the antitype of Elisha's counselling the making of trenches?
(19) What is typed by the absence of wind and rain in this verse? By Elisha's referring to their absence? What was promised—type and antitype? How was the promise connected with the valley—type and antitype? What is typed by Elisha's promising that all would be filled? How was it fulfilled—type and antitype?
(20) What additionally was prophesied—type and antitype? What particular did antitypical Elisha also state? What was lacking as to a fulfillment? How was the water— type and antitype—comparatively considered? What greater thing was promised—type and antitype? How did the forecast turn out?
(21) Give the prophesied details—type and antitype. What is typed by the fortified cities? choice cities? good
trees? fountains of water? good pieces of land? and what was done to each one of these—type and antitype? Show the fulfillment of the antitypes. What is a proof of the antitypical fulfillment?
(22) What relieved the crisis—type and antitype?, What was the first part of the antitypical water? the second? How long was the first in coming? How did the second result: at first and then later? Explain the time feature of this verse as to the coming of the water—type and antitype. What is typed by the water coming from Edom?
(23) What did the Germanic side do after its 1918 Spring victories? What did they call their prospective offensive? What does this antitype? What had encouraged them? Who all were encouraged? What is typed by the Moabites' standing on their border?
(24) Before what times were these special preparations not begun? What in type and antitype proves this? What is the time for their beginning? How did the new Allied plans strike the Central Powers? How is this typed? What is typed by the sun's rising on the water?
(25) How did the Moabites interpret the sun-lit water— type and antitype? How did they boast—type and antitype? Explain the antitype of each part of the boast? What did they expect—type and antitype? How did it all end?
(26) How was the "victory drive" launched, pressed and met? Who turned the tide? By whom were they quickly supported? In what did this result? What types this? What then set in—type and antitype? What was the character of the crumpling up of the Moabites—type and antitype? How long did the antitype continue? Describe, type and antitype, the Moabites' retreat and Israel's advance. How far did the advance penetrate—type and antitype?
(27) What is typed by beating down the Moabite cities? How was this done? What is meant by filling the arable land with stones? By every Israelite sharing in it? By stopping up the fountains? By felling the good trees? What does the partial sparing of Kirharaseth type? Give the details that prove the fulfillment.
(28) What does the effort to break through the line of
Elisha's Earlier Independent Acts.
the Edomites to come to their king type? Whom do the 700 swordsmen type? By what and when was the climax of effort made in the antitype? Who were the supposed backers, and who was the real backer of this conference? How did Conservative Labor, especially in America and Britain, regard it? In what did this result? Trace the type and antitype of each particular in this verse.
(29) Whom did the eldest son of Moab's king type? Prove Scripturally that the eldest son types the chief one of his class. Which nation was the chief one of the Central Powers? What is typed by the eldest son's being in line for the succession to the throne of Moab? What does a wall type? What is typed by Moab's king sacrificing his eldest son on the wall? Why was he sacrificed—type and antitype? What is the antitypical force of the word "then" in this verse? What was the "indignation"—type and antitype? What finally followed—type and antitype?
(30) What is the character of the foregoing interpretation? Of what is this a demonstration? How should we esteem it? What should we render to the Lord for it? Whose view of antitypical Elijah and Elisha does it corroborate? Whose view does it refute? Why does it refute that view?
(31) How long is it since we have given anything new to Elisha, type and antitype? What exceptions to this statement? Where is our last extended discussion of the Elisha type found? Why has there not, and why has there been so long a silence on this subject? By late in 1920 with what four exceptions had practically all of the antitypes of Elisha's history become clear? Which two of these four have since become clear? What remark has just been made? What caused a change as to postponing publishing certain features until the promised book appears? E.g., what feature? When will it be presented?
(32) How many successively conflicting views has
J.F.R. presented on the antitypes of Elijah and Elisha? Why did he make these successive conflicting changes? What view did he set forth in the Feb., 1918, Tower? What view did he reverse? How especially was he refuted? What did this refutation force him to do with our Pastor's view of the subject? Why? What was his second new view? From what four standpoints was this view
refuted? What did this refutation cause him to do? How long after the appearance of the refutation? What was his third new view? What was immediately done with the third new view? What did this cause him to do? What is the fourth new view?
(33) What was done with this fourth new view? What did he do with this refutation? What did he refrain from inventing? Why, probably? What does not fit the time setting of his third and fourth views? As what may his fourth view be considered? What two reasons refute it? What in their nature and time setting overthrow these two views? What three considerations overthrow the third and fourth new views? What will be shown on this point in this article? How many episodes are given in 2 Kings 4 and 5? What will be done with them here?
(34) To what time does the antitype of 2 Kings 4: 1-7 apply? In what did that antitype reach its climax? What does the widow represent? What is typed by her husband's dying? His being dead? Elisha? Especially whom? The widow's two sons? The creditor? His seeking to reduce the two sons to servitude? What were the main repressive measures? What does the widow's crying to Elisha type? Her saying that her husband was dead? That Elisha knew his piety? Her plaint?
(35) As what would such plaints impress a benevolent heart? By whom were they so recognized? What is typed by Elisha's asking her what she had, pertinent to her present plight? What three things does oil Biblically symbolize? How do the cited passages prove it in each case? What does the pot of oil type? What was the Societyites' only pertinent possession? Why? What is typed by Elisha's suggesting to the widow that she borrow from abroad empty vessels? What is typed by his charge, Let them not be few? Wherein was the petition work not pushed? Why not? Into whose charge was it put? What did he use in general? In particular? Who cooperated with him in encouraging the participation of the Societyites in the petition work? What was the response of the Societyites? The public? Especially after what event? How many signers were reported as gotten?
(36) What kind of vessels were requested and gotten? How was oil poured into them? Known by whom only?
How were the vessels gathered? What was not in the borrowed vessels? What does this represent? What was not requested in the petitions as they were signed? What did the petitions request? How is this feature treated in the type? What is stressed in the type? Why is the emptiness of the vessels stressed? What was not disclosed to the signers? How is this typed? How is this proved?
(37) What two things are typed by the pouring out of the oil from the one into all the other vessels? What was set forth in the exposition? What was requested? What was done with these two things? What is typed by the mother's requesting another vessel after the last on hand was filled? By her son's answer? By the staying of the oil? By the widow's coming to, and telling Elisha of her and her sons' response? By Elisha's telling her to sell the oil and from the gain meet their needs?
(38) What does the type not tell? What suggests her response? What was done in the antitype? During what time was the petition work done? What is the time relation of this story and Elijah's and Elisha's separation? Why so long? How were these things related in the antitype to one another? What do these considerations do with the time setting of J.F.R.'s third and fourth new views? With what antitypical events in time does the antitype of this episode fit?
(39) What, in general, does the second episode of 2 Kings 4 type? In this story what does Elisha type? Gehazi? The Shunammite? Her husband? Her son? What analogous type and antitype shows this? For what do these generalities prepare us?
(40) What is typed by Elisha's journey to Shunem? When did the antitype occur? Why is this a fitting date for it? What is typed by the Shunammite's laying hold on him to eat bread? In connection with what did this occur? How did it proceed? To what did this correspond? What was the antitype of the Shunammite's often feeding Elisha? What is the antitype of the Shunammite's commending Elisha to her husband? Before when and what was it made? What began the antitypical building and furnishing of the room generally? What does the
statement, "which passeth by us continually," type? In what can the pertinent ministries be seen?
(41) What is typed by the suggestion that she and her husband build and furnish a room for Elisha? What encomium do the type and the antitype deserve? What does Ezekiel's temple show as to the symbolic meaning of chambers, or rooms? What help will this fact give us? What, therefore, does her suggestion type? In what did this advocacy have a private beginning? Before when and what event? With what is this private beginning contrasted? What immediately followed this advocacy everywhere? When and with what was the building completed? What proves that powers were connected with the office? What is represented by Elisha's coming to, and living in the room? Whose choice were they for that office?
(42) What is typed by Elisha's seeking to make a return for the Shunammite's kindness? To what difference in the unfolding of types of various acts and the usual unfolding of their antitypes is attention here called? What is typed by Elisha's telling Gehazi to call her? How does this distinction apply to the facts here being studied? How was this first done? Secondly? What is typed by the Shunammite's response? What is typed by Elisha's first expressing appreciation? By his request, "What is to be done for thee?" By his question, "Wouldst thou be spoken for to the king, or to the captain of the host?" What is typed by her answer?
(43) To whom was Elisha's question of v. 14 addressed, type and antitype? What was the antitypical question? What was not, and what was J.F.R.'s forte? Under what was he chafing? What is meant antitypically by Gehazi's answer? What did antitypical Elisha do with the suggestion? Why? What is typed by Elisha's charge to Gehazi to call the Shunammite? What is typed by Elisha's promise to her? The Shunammite's incredulousness? Her having a son? What made its first appearance then? What other things were used in this public witness movement? How did the paper, Kingdom News, figure in this drive? Of what were activities in these things the antitype?
(44) After seven months what happened to this public witness movement? What is typed by the boy's going forth to this father and the reapers? Who were not, and
who were the antitypical reapers? What mistake was made as to those reaped? Why? Why is it likely that the child suffered sunstroke? What did the antitypical child suffer? What proves this? What happened with the Society and the government in the spring of 1918? What resulted? What is represented by the lad commissioned to carry the boy to his mother? What is typed by the father's giving this commission? Why was it done? What resulted from this view? What is typed by the boy's sitting on his mother's knees? By the child's death? When was the antitypical death? Why then?
(45) What is represented by the Shunammite's taking and laying the child on Elisha's bed? Why? What is typed by her closing the door on him? Her asking her husband for a young man and an ass to take her to Elisha? Why did she desire to go to him, type and antitype? What does her husband's objection mean, type and antitype? Her answer? Her saddling the ass? Her charge to the servant? Elisha's being on Mt. Carmel? The Shunammite's coming to him there? His seeing her coming from afar? His telling his servant thereof?
(46) What is typed by Elisha's charge to Gehazi? Where did the corresponding messages not appear? Where did they appear? Through whom were they also given? What is typed by the Shunammite's coming to, and grasping Elisha's feet? Why did they desire these things? What is typed by Gehazi's attempt to thrust her aside? What is the story by which this type and that of Elisha hindering Gehazi were fulfilled? What would have resulted had J.F.R. completed his pertinent attempt?
(47) What does a surface reading of the last words of v. 27 suggest? What suggests that this is incorrect? Why? What are the two possibilities as to their meaning, suggested by the facts of the antitype? Which would be the more natural of the two? What would be two involved types? What word, indicated by the italics, has no corresponding word in the Hebrew text? What does this suggest? Which of the two possibilities has the most in its favor? Of what are the Shunammite's questions a reminder? What were their antitypes? Why were these antitypes well founded? What else did the questions seem to imply antitypically? What is implied in the doubtful
things discussed in this paragraph? What peculiarity is noted in v. 28? What, so far as the record shows, did the Shunammite nowhere tell Elisha?
(48) What is also in line with this thought? Where was J.F.R while the antitypical thrusting away was attempted? Where was he in the antitype of v. 29? Of what is the expression, Gird up thy loins, an exhortation? When was its antitype given? Who gave it? What does a staff, or rod, type? How do the cited passages prove it? What is typed by Elisha's giving Gehazi his rod? His charge to Gehazi neither to salute anyone nor respond to anyone's salutation? To lay the rod on the child's face?
(49) What is to be noted in the form of expression in v. 30? What words should be added to it to complete its thought? What does her adjuring Elisha suggest, type and antitype? What did the supporting Societyites' experiences with J.F.R.'s blunders raise in them? His last blunder, described in paragraph 15? What did they prefer? In what did this result? Of what was this the antitype? What is typed by Elisha's going with the Shunammite? By Gehazi's passing on before them? His placing Elisha's staff on the dead child's face? When was this antitype performed? What is typed by the child's neither uttering a sound nor hearing? What were the last features of J.F.R.'s pertinent work? What was their result? What is typed by Gehazi's failing to awaken the child? By his reporting his failure?
(50) What peculiarity usually attaches to the antitype of a story having many episodes? How does this principle apply in the story under study? What is this antitype? In what verses is it given typically? What is typed by Elisha's coming to the Shunammite's home and seeing the dead child on his bed? By Elisha's entering his room? His shutting the door on Gehazi and the Shunammite? By the expression, "prayed unto the Lord"?
(51) What is typed by Elisha's lying on the child? Putting his mouth to its mouth? His eyes on its eyes? His hands on its hands? Why these things? What is typed by Elisha's stretching himself on the child? By the child's flesh warming? What does the correct translation of the first part of v. 35 suggest antitypically? How was
it done? What is typed by Elisha's going once hither and once thither? In other words, what did it represent?
(52) What is typed by Elisha's going a second time to his room? Where and when was the second effort put forth? What effect had J.F.R.'s two efforts—before and at that convention? To what were efforts of antitypical Elisha there directed? What is typed by Elisha's second stretching of himself on the child? What was the effect, type and antitype? Of what is sneezing a sign? What is its cause and indication? Of what is it a symptom? How do some people regard it, and wish as to it? Of what two things was it a sign? What did the child's sneezing type? Its being done seven times? The child's opening its eyes?
(53) What is typed by Elisha's calling, and charging Gehazi to call the Shunammite? By Gehazi's calling her and her coming? By Elislia's telling her to take her child? Her coming to him and doing him obeisance? Her taking her child and going forth? What have most of us seen as to our subject? At that time what two things did we not think? How should we think of these two privileges? How is this antitype in its beginning and ending related to J.F.R.'s third and fourth new views of Elijah and Elisha? What does it prove of these views?
(54) In what verses is the third episode of our study given? To what does it refer? What does Gilgal mean and seem to type? Why does this seem so? What does Elisha's returning to Gilgal seem to type? Away from what had the Societyites somewhat slipped? What three things opened their eyes thereto? Under whose leadership did they make the return? By what things was the return made? What is typed by the famine of v. 38? What does this not, and what does it mean? Who are typed by the sons of the prophets in v. 38? Whom does Elisha's servant usually represent? Why does he not here represent him? Whom does he type?
(55) What is typed by the great pot? The pottage? Its boiling? Whom does the herb gatherer represent? What is typed by his going into the field? The wild vine? Who were the main members of this wild vine? Why? What do the wild gourds type? What is J.F.R.'s second new view in its main features? What else were there in these wild gourds? Why are they not here given? What
is typed by the garment full? What is typed by the unnamed person's shredding the wild gourds into the pot? What did J.F.R. first do with the article? What did the Tower editors thereupon do? What did he then do with it? With what result? What is typed by the man's putting the shredded gourds into the pot? By his not knowing their poisonous character? Who else were deceived by it?
(56) What did these persons do with the article? Why? What began thereupon? Why, in type and antitype? What is typed by the cries of the sons of the prophets? What unusual thing was done in the antitype with this view? What is typed by the complaining to Elisha? By the cry, "Death in the pot"? What is meant antitypically by these words? What is typed by the expression, "they could not eat"? By Elisha's charge to put meal into the pot? What resulted from fulfilling this charge? Why? What did antitypical Elisha not attempt? Why not? What sufficed to set aside J.F.R.'s error? What is typed by Elisha's charge to pour out the pottage? By the men eating and there being no poison in the food? What trait has our view?
(57) In connection with what is the antitype of the fourth episode of 2 Kings 4? What does the word Baal-shalisha mean? What thought is the foundation of the antitype of Baal-shalisha? How are the three divisions especially typed? Who constituted the third group of these? How was the man of antitypical Shalisha there? How and by when did he leave it? What is the stress in the antitype of Baal in the word Baal-shalisha?
(58) To whom did the man from Baal-shalisha come, type and antitype? What gifts did he bring in the type? What is not, and what is Bible corn? Why was it not Indian corn? How do the cited passages prove these points? What were its chief Biblical kinds? How do the passages show this? What does bread in the Bible symbolize? How do the cited passages prove this? How many and what lines of Truth are treated in the pertinent article? What is typed by the fact that twenty loaves of bread were given Elisha? What may also be included in this antitype as a secondary thought? What two classes are typed by barley? What else does barley type? Which truth alone of the twenty applies to the Little Flock? What would be warranted by the fact that nineteen of the
twenty truths pertained to the Great Company and the Second Deathers? What other antitypical reason would warrant the twenty loaves as having been made of barley? What is proved by the fact that firstfruits were used in the bread? What two kinds of firstborn ones are here typed? What is typed by the corn being in husk? Why?
(59) Who, type and antitype, commanded the food to be given to the people? What did the bulk of the Societyites think of, and do as to the pertinent article? Of whom else was this true? Of what was this the antitype? Whom does Elisha's servant here type? Why so? What was his mental attitude toward the truths of the pertinent article? How is this typed? What are the antitypical thoughts contained in the number 100 here? Explain and prove this from the Scriptural passages and facts adduced. What two classes do these hundred men type? What parallel type corroborates this thought? Against what misunderstanding are we to be on guard? How is J.F.R.'s pertinent course to be explained in harmony with the type? How did J.F.R. seek to prevent the Societyites from reading The Present Truth? Why?
(60) What does Elisha's preventing Gehazi's course type? How has J.F.R. influenced the Societyites: as to intolerance? What courses of two persons are here contrasted? Who have escaped the contamination of J.F.R.'s pertinent course? What is typed by Elisha's reiterating his charge on giving the food to the people? What opinion was held by many Societyites as to the usurpatory and lording course of J.F.R.? Even by whom was this opinion held? From whom did the antitypical charge go forth? What is typed by Elisha's using the expression, "for thus saith the Lord"? What is implied in the cited Scriptural injunctions? What strengthens the proof of this view of the antitype of the expression, "for thus saith the Lord"? What is the proper translation of the involved terms? So rendered, what is their antitypical teaching? Who has commanded this course? What have been J.F.R.'s contrary teachings? What have the real Elishaites taught to the contrary of this view? What should we hold as to
these two contradictory views? Who taught the right view? In antitype of what?
(61) At first reading, who is thought to have set the food before the people? What proves this first thought false? Why? Who, accordingly, set the food before the people, type and antitype? Through how many editions has the involved issue gone? How many copies of it have been circulated among Truth people? To whom has it been sent? What have been its effects? How much of it have some Truth people accepted? How much of it have others accepted? What part of it have the Societyites rejected? Why? What is meant by their leaving uneaten that part, according to the word of the Lord? What does that expression not mean? What do the antitypes of the third and fourth episodes of 2 Kings 4 do with J.F.R.'s third and fourth new views? Why is this so?
"A little chamber", built "upon the wall"—
With stool and table, candlestick and bed—
Where he might sit, or kneel, or lay his head
At night or sultry noontide: this was all
A prophet's need: but in that chamber small
What mighty prayers arose, what grace was shed,
What gifts were given—potent to wake the dead
And from its sleep in death a soul recall.
And still what miracles of grace are wrought
In many a lowly chamber with shut door,
Where God, our Father, is in secret sought,
And shows Himself in mercy more and more.
Dim upper rooms with God's own glory shine
And souls are lifted to the life Divine.